[vlc] Distribution

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 26 17:03:49 CET 2010

Hello Christof Schönberg,

> One of our customers wants to use the vlc-player at his DVD-Rom
> project. Can he copy the installation program onto his DVDs or is it
> not allowed? He wants to copy 1.000 DVDs.

It is absolutely alright to bundle VLC media player with 3rd media and
to redistribute it. You are even allowed to charge for it. However,
you'll need to comply with the GNU General Public License (version 2
or later) to do so. In your case, this basically means that you
customer needs to provide the source code of VLC and its libraries if
one of his/her users request it. Providing a link to our website is
okay, but include the source package on the disc is definitely nicer.

Hope this helps. In case of any questions, contact me off-list or the
entire team at videolan at videolan.org.

Best regards,

Felix Paul Kühne

--