[vlc] VLC 1.0.3 Blackmagic Intensity Pro

Eisberg, Reinhard reinhard.eisberg at desy.de
Thu Jan 28 14:24:49 CET 2010

Hi,

Recently I have set up a PC (Intel Core Duo 3 GHz, 4 GB Memory) with Win
XP SP3.

I have added a Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDMI capture adapter and I have
tried VLC 1.03

I have connected a Sony Camcorder HDR HC7 (FullHD with 1080i) to the
HDMI adapter.

Running VLC in Batch mode I have used the following setup for capturing
and display (not yet streaming):

...vlc.exe -vvv :dshow-vdev="Decklink Video Capture"

                :dshow-adev="" :dshow-config

                :dshow-size="1920x1080"

                    :dshow-chroma="UYVY"

                        :dshow-fps="0"

                        :sout=#display

when starting the batch file the VLC properties window opens for the
video format of the

Blackmagic driver, where I have selected HD 1080i 50 - 8 bit 4:2:2 YUV

afterwards a black VLC window appears showing "dhow://" for a short
time.

the window remains black.

I have attached the VLC messages which show several error messages which
I cannot interpret.

What is surprising to me:

I have tried out a different HD source which is the output channel of a
Tandberg C20 videoconferencing device

running in 720p mode.

the source of the vlc batch file is:

...vlc.exe -vvv :dshow-vdev="Decklink Video Capture"

                :dshow-adev="" :dshow-config

                :dshow-size="1280x720"

                    :dshow-chroma="UYVY"

                        :dshow-fps="0"

                        :sout=#display

As video format for the Blackmagic drivers I have selected HD 720p 60 -
8 bit 4:2:2 YUV

with this HD device VLC shows up the video.

I also checked Windows Media Encoder9 with both devices - both show up
correctly.

Do you have any idea why VLC can display a 720p source but not a 1080i?