[vlc] Do you envisage to replace previous shoutcast by radiotime.com service ?

Arioch the_Arioch at nm.ru
Fri Jul 2 21:17:51 CEST 2010

В письме от Tue, 29 Jun 2010 01:53:06 +0400, Richard LEGER
<richard.leger at gmail.com> сообщал:

> I was wondering if you know about radiotime.com (radio directory service
> online) and if it was ever envisage to integrate it into videolan  ?
> Couldn't this be a fair replacement to shoutcast ?

There are a lot of, startnig with IceCast long ago made clone.

Including FaceBook and MySpace

Including free music servers like http://www.jamendo.com/

===== http://www.videolan.org/press/2010-1.html =====
We want to emphasise the fact that features like SHOUTcast or icecast
browsing are now doable using our new extension framework and you will
find user-contributed extensions on http://addons.videolan.org/
=====

I'd like to emphasize that no such server exists :-/

PS: i'd like to say that www.aimp.ru player plays fine with both IceCast
and ShoutCast
I guess it directly uses web-site rather than some specific API. So no
strange licenses affect it.

PPS:
=== ShoutCast license ===
contain any material, product or services that violate or encourage
conduct that
would  violate  any  criminal  laws,  any  other  laws,  or  any  third
party  rights;

I wonder what is H.264 patents compatibility of VLC among different
countries.
I wonder how VLC's streaming of media into LAN resembles "encourage
conduct that  would  violate  any other  laws"

I guess afterall VLC would have to remove half of its functionality
including H.264 support, otherwise it would still be incompatible even if
bound with AOL Toolbar spyware.

--
Написано в почтовом клиенте браузера Opera: http://www.opera.com/mail/