[vlc] Do you envisage to replace previous shoutcast by radiotime.com service ?

Rémi Duraffort ivoire at videolan.org
Wed Jul 7 08:53:01 CEST 2010

>> I was wondering if you know about radiotime.com (radio directory service
>> online) and if it was ever envisage to integrate it into videolan  ?
>> Couldn't this be a fair replacement to shoutcast ?
>
> There are a lot of, startnig with IceCast long ago made clone.
>
> Including FaceBook and MySpace
>
> Including free music servers like http://www.jamendo.com/
Already working (there is an extenssion in VLC to access directly to a
jamaendo top 100)

> ===== http://www.videolan.org/press/2010-1.html =====
> We want to emphasise the fact that features like SHOUTcast or icecast
> browsing are now doable using our new extension framework and you will
> find user-contributed extensions on http://addons.videolan.org/
> =====
>
> I'd like to emphasize that no such server exists :-/
Not for the moment, but the site is under construction.

> PS: i'd like to say that www.aimp.ru player plays fine with both IceCast
> and ShoutCast
> I guess it directly uses web-site rather than some specific API. So no
> strange licenses affect it.
They do have the same problem as VLC. Making a software that directly use
the content of a web site without the authorisation of this website is
illegal. In this case you must agreed to the license.

> PPS:
> === ShoutCast license ===
> contain any material, product or services that violate or encourage
> conduct that
> would  violate  any  criminal  laws,  any  other  laws,  or  any  third
> party  rights;
> =========================
>
> I wonder what is H.264 patents compatibility of VLC among different
> countries.
> I wonder how VLC's streaming of media into LAN resembles "encourage
> conduct that  would  violate  any other  laws"
>
> I guess afterall VLC would have to remove half of its functionality
> including H.264 support, otherwise it would still be incompatible even if
> bound with AOL Toolbar spyware.
That's not the same problem. Here you'r talking about software patent
which dose not exist in Europe.

Best regards

--
Rémi Duraffort | ivoire