[vlc] feature request [All]

WordWeaver777 wordweaver777 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 11:12:15 CEST 2010

At 12:19 AM -0700 on 7/8/10, jpsember wrote:

>  How about a "play next" feature, where it plays the next
>  file in the directory? This would be handy if you are watching
>  a series, and you want to see the next episode.

>  Cheers,

>  Jeff

Jeff, you don't specify which platform you are using, but as
a long-time Macintosh user, I can tell you that if you are
watching the series from your hard drive, or even from a disc
for that matter, all you have to do is open an empty playlist
window -- click on the playlist icon in the lower right
corner of VLC's controller window -- and then select all of
the files that you want to watch, and drag them into the
playlist window. Just start watching the very first one, and
the files will continue playing one after another after that.

In fact, if you get tired of watching the series, you can
stop at any time, delete the files you have already watched,
and save the playlist by selecting "Save Playlist" under the
"File" menu. This will create a .m3u file in the location of
your choosing. Again, this is on the Macintosh version of
VLC. I have no idea if other platforms are the same.

Finally, after saving the playlist, you can do a "Get Info",
again, on a Macintosh, and select VLC under the pull-down
menu so that the created .m3u file will open with VLC when
you double-click it.

BTW, it is helpful if you use the new four-tag system that we
are trying to implement here on the VLC users list. Using the
tags in the subject line -- after the message title -- helps
everyone to save personal time by immediately being able to
identify which list messages we want to read. It is a nice
sign of courtesy and mutual respect for other list members.
The four tags are:

[Win] = mainly of interest to Windows users
[Mac] = mainly of interest to Macintosh users
[Lin] = mainly of interest to Linux users
[All] = possibly of interest to everyone

Being as this message might be of interest to all platform
users, I have marked it with [All] in the subject line.

Thanks,

SnidelyW