[vlc] VLC Crashes on Opening .mp3 Audio CDs

PK djc at resiak.org
Thu Jul 8 13:29:42 CEST 2010

A CD with MP3 files is not an audio CD: it is a data CD with a file system
which contains files that happen to contain MP3 data.  An audio CD has a
different structure.  The two are not the same.

Open your CD of MP3 files like any folder and add the files to the VLC
playlist, and it should play them just fine.  In contrast, open any
commercial audio CD with VLC's "open audio CD" and that should also work.

I do agree that VLC should not crash when the user makes this kind of
mistake; here I think the polite thing would be for VLC to say "This isn't
an audio CD but a data CD; would you like to look at the contents of the
root folder?"

Pete