[vlc] Do you envisage to replace previous shoutcast by radiotime.com service ?

Arioch the_Arioch at nm.ru
Thu Jul 8 17:38:03 CEST 2010

В письме от Wed, 07 Jul 2010 10:53:01 +0400, Rémi Duraffort
<ivoire at videolan.org> сообщал:

>> === ShoutCast license ===
>> contain any material, product or services that violate or encourage
>> conduct that
>> would  violate  any  criminal  laws,  any  other  laws,  or  any  third
>> party  rights;
>> =========================
>>
>> I wonder what is H.264 patents compatibility of VLC among different
>> countries.
>> I wonder how VLC's streaming of media into LAN resembles "encourage
>> conduct that  would  violate  any other  laws"
>>
>> I guess afterall VLC would have to remove half of its functionality
>> including H.264 support, otherwise it would still be incompatible even
>> if
>> bound with AOL Toolbar spyware.
> That's not the same problem. Here you'r talking about software patent
> which dose not exist in Europe.

Not only. H.264 and MPEG1 Layer 3 while important, would not count for
"half of functionality"

I mostly talked about "encourage conduct that would violate" - transcoding
(aka ripping) and net streaming (aka sharing, uploading)

There was soviet joke about "encourage conduct that would violate". I do
not remember exactly, but it ends with defendant tractor driver shouting
out to the jury "Then go ahead and accuse me of raping also!"
- Why ? You did not do it.
- (showing between legs) But i had with me tools that could do it!

--
Написано в почтовом клиенте браузера Opera: http://www.opera.com/mail/