[vlc] VLC and Hyperthreading on HP/Compaq dc5100 and the like

Mark Coolen mark.coolen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 21:31:33 CEST 2010

Hi;

I work for a large school board in Southwestern Ontario, Canada. We
use VLC Media Player 1.0.5 on many (all, in my schools) of our
machines to handle DVD Playback and media files. I, and many others,
love it. Thanks for all the hard work.

We have a problem though. We've deployed thousands of HP/Compaq dc5100
SFF (and a few 7100 and 7600s) machines with Windows XP SP3. There
seems to be a problem with Hyperthreading in the CPU and Write
Combining on the Video that causes very choppy video and sound. This
doesn't seem to happen with some commercial DVD players like Power
DVD. If I disable Write Combining by using the file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\DisableUSWC]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\GraphicsDrivers\DisableUSWC]

the problem goes away. Is there any way this can be fixed?

Mark Coolen