[vlc] MKV dual-language defaults

Matt Bateman - AUK matt at aukl.com
Fri Jun 11 10:30:14 CEST 2010

Morning,

I've searched the forums, the wiki and I've even Googled my problem but
alas, to no avail. I was wondering if there's (and if there's not, will
there be) a feature in VLC to create a config or default settings for
MKV-wrapped video with dual audio and/or subtitles.
Essentially, imagine I have a TV series, in MKV. Each episode is a separate
file, and each file has dual audio (Japanese and English) and two subtitle
languages.
Each time I open an episode, the *default* settings in the MKV are Japanese
audio with English subtitles. What I want them to be is English Language and
[no] subtitles.

Is there a feature for writing a cfg file for VLC to page when it opens an
MKV file? I appreciate perhaps one config file would only work on files in
the same folder, but I wouldn't mind that.
Either that, or is there a way in VLC I can actually set default languages
for dual-language video, and have subtitles disabled permanently?

I could always set up hotkeys, but that's not what I'm about - plus I
thought you might like the idea of the feature addition.

Many thanks,
Matt Bateman