[vlc] VLC / Panasonic problem

Mark E Laidre (mlaidre@Princeton.EDU) mlaidre at Princeton.EDU
Mon Mar 1 05:00:57 CET 2010

To whom it may concern:

I have a logistical question for you about VLC. I am using a high-definition Panasonic camcorder HDC-HS300 camcorder. When clips are played back on the camcorder's LCD, an accurate timeline appears (e.g., '00:15 / 00:30'). However, when played on my computer none of the camcorder's video clips shows a dynamically-changing timeline during playback. That is, although the video itself plays fine, the timeline in the right hand corner remains stationary during the entire playback (it just shows '00:00 / 00:00' the whole sequence). This does NOT seem to be an issue with the VLC program I am using. I'm pretty sure VLC is fine because when I take clips w/ my personal hard-drive camcorder (a Sony standard-definition) the VLC clips I playback on my laptop *do* show a dynamically-changing timeline. And likewise VLC shows a timeline for all other older videos I play (ones that were previously stored on my computer). It's just clips from the Panasonic that lack the timeline. What's the
deal? Is there something I need to change in my camera's settings?  Or is there a different version of VLC I should be using for this high-definition Panasonic camcorder?

Thanks,
Mark