[vlc] osd display of time/date

sl contrib sl.contrib at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 3 16:03:34 CET 2010

Hi all,

Is it possible for VLC to display an arbitrary time/date code running
alongside the video? I.e. can you give VLC a start time/date, to be
displayed through OSD, and incremented as the video runs forward?

We're looking at using cheap recorders for educational research, and
having an overlay with time/date (when the video was shot) is
essential. So the idea is this: For video that was recorded on compact
cameras, and SD video recorders, the timestamp of the file is the
end-time of the recording, and if you know your position within the
file, you can then calculate the time/date when a point in the video
was shot, and might be able to display this through the OSD.

If this isn't possible in VLC at the moment, how hard would it be to
implement? Would somebody be willing to lend a hand, or provide some
coaching?

Many thanks for your help!
Bjoern