[vlc] Multi-video over RTP

Finta Tartaruga framefritti at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 16:45:20 CET 2010

Dear all,
consider the following setup:

  1) I start a VLC client asking it to read RTP data from a local UDP port

  2) I start a server (VLM or other) that sends RTP packets to the
port opened by the client at step 1.  The client shows me the video

  3) I start a second server that sends RTP packets to the client.

Since (I expect that) the RTP packets created by the second server
will have a different SSRC, I expect the client to be able to
distinguish between the two streams.  The best would be to have the
client opening a new window and showing me the two videos.  Better
yet, it enlarges the window with the first video and shows the two
videos side-by-syde.

We carried out few experiments and we found out that

  1) If we use SAP, VLC creates a playlist and allows me to choose
_one_ source, but not both at the same time

  2) If we do not use SAP (and, for reasons to long to be explained
here, we would prefer do not use it) things get messed up and we do
not see anything.  Our impression is that VLC tries to send the data
from both the sources to a single decoder.

Do you know if what we want to do (i.e., for every new source a new
window should open) is possible with an off-the-shelf VLC or if we
need to write a new piece of software?  In the latter hypothesis, do
you have any suggestion?

Thank you for your help.