[vlc] about the support private decoding

Yangbo yangbo at hikvision.com
Wed May 12 15:57:31 CEST 2010

Hi,

Good day! I am a salesman from China and work for a video surveillance
hardware manufactures called HIKVISION, we make DVR(Digital Video Recorder)
and IPcameras; so far we are the biggest DVR provider worldwide(from IMS
report, UK), and most of the products were used in government/police legal
surveillance project for public security, just like Charles de Gaulle
airport, London buses, HK MTR, Shanghai Expo and so on.

Now H.264 compression is more and more popular and now people enquiry more
about this, but if you know the history you can understand that if we
involved in this industy for more than 8 years, we can not get any STANDARD
H.264 codec before. So we have to create our own defined H.264, means with
some private protocol on compression and file package.

Now we are facing an enquiry from police dept. in a famous southeast asia
country, about the player of the system---more than 300+ DVR and storage
equipments were already installed on sites, whether the video files could be
played by VLC or Windows Media player. So far we have to use our own player
or install a filter then could use Windows media player. But the authority
don't allowed to install any .exe program or filter. It makes us headache.

So may I know, could VLC support HIKvision recording files? Thank you very
much!

Best Regards

Yang Bo

International Business Department Asia Team Manager
Hangzhou HIKVISION Digital Technology Co., Ltd
Tel:     +86-571-88075998 Ext.:8224

Mobile:+86-137 57134487