[vlc] Problem playing AC3/DTS 5.1 channel audio with VLC 1.1.5 on Mac OS X

Matt walterhausen at msn.com
Fri Nov 26 08:00:09 CET 2010

Hi.. looking for advice!

I am running Mac OSX 10.6.4 with VLC 1.1.5.  Playing any AC3-encoded or DTS-encoded file always outputs PCM 2.0 (3 channel L-C-R) to my Bose receiver.  I have tried checking "Output to S/PDIF where available" to true which worked on the same computer running Windows7/WindowsVista however it fails to work under Mac OSX.

Note that Plex works natively with 5.1 channel after I set it to use either SPDIF-out or Digital-out and "force Digital" support for AC3/DTS-capable receiver.  Note that Perian with AC3 passthrough also works playing through Quicktime.  Only VLC is giving me problems...

Please help!! I am note sure what I am doing wrong with VLC on the Mac.  I would really love my 5.1 channel working under native Mac OSX with VLC through SPDIF or HDMI-Digital output!!  Especially as I already bought the VLC Remote SW for my iPhone.

What settings should I use to force behaviour the way I need it?

Best Regards,
Matt