[vlc] suse installation problem

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 11 10:17:53 CEST 2010

On 2010/10/10 20:50 (GMT+0200) Michael Peternell composed:

> I use debian, but I wanted to help a friend installing vlc.

Debian has an excellent package management system, but that's not enough to
overcome it's other shortcomings and make me switch from openSUSE.

> here come the hard facts:

> http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-suse.html

> # zypper in vlc
> Reading installed packages...
> Resolving package dependencies...

> Problem: nothing provides libaa.so.1 needed by vlc-1.1.2-2.8.i586
>  Solution 1: do not ask to install a solvable providing vlc

> Choose the above solution using '1' or cancel using 'c' [1/C]: 1
> Resolving dependencies...
> Resolving package dependencies...
> Nothing to do.

> Basically, I had the choice between not successfully installing vlc (1)
> and not trying to install vlc (C). In case you wonder: both options
> don't install vlc.

What you encountered seems to be a version mismatch problem between the
package you want to install and a library it depends on. On my 11.2 system,
libaa.so.1 is provided by aalib-1.4.0-478.3 from the standard OSS repository,
while the installed VLC is vlc-beta-1.2.0-2010100101.1 from the VideoLAN
repository. If I wanted vlc instead of vlc-beta, the available is
vlc-1.1.4-4.17. So, I think maybe your friend's openSUSE is an older version
for which support has expired. aalib may need to be installed from the
original openSUSE installation DVD or an archive repo such as gwdg.de.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/