[vlc] suse installation problem

Pedro Tumusok pedro.tumusok at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 10:33:20 CEST 2010

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 8:50 PM, Michael Peternell
<michael.peternell at gmx.at> wrote:
> Why is it so normal that Linux installation instructions just do not work? 2
> out of 3 times when I do "./configure" it produces an error. the only
> distribution that really works seems to be debian, because "apt-get install
> $package_name" works always, for every package supported.

./configure is not what is normally used for just installing software
these days, you also go through a compilation step and must manage
dependencies manually etc.
For easier software installation, you probably should stick with the
package management solution used by your Linux distribution.
As you mentioned for Debian there is APT, for Suse I believe they use
Yast and Redhat got Yum etc.

Pedro