[vlc] VLC Silent Install

Emil Petersen epetersen at secunia.com
Wed Sep 1 14:08:49 CEST 2010

Hi,

The Secunia Personal Software Inspector has entered the public beta for
version 2.0. One of our major focuses is automatic updating, where the
user does not have to do anything to get updated to the latest secure
version. This simplifies the patching process for the end-user
tremendously.

When currently running VLC Player with the silent install option (/S),
VLC does install quietly, but prompts the user to uninstall the old
version before installation begins.
As long as the /S flag still requires user interaction, silently
deploying this update in larger networks becomes impossible. It also
makes automatically updating the application in the background
impossible.

Ideally, either the /S flag could simply remove older versions, or
a /RemoveOld flag (or similar) could be added. If this was implemented,
the thousands of VLC users who also use Secunia Software Inspector
products would not have to spend as much time updating, and would
effortlessly be upgraded to the latest secure version when this becomes
necessary, thus enhancing the value of Secunia Software Inspector
products to our customers, as well as easing the process of updating
VLC.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to write.

--
Kind regards,

Emil R. Petersen
Secunia PSI Support