[vlc] vlc for android

Arioch the_Arioch at nm.ru
Thu Apr 14 15:29:23 CEST 2011

> I hear that it will be released soon. I am emailing this list to see if
> anybody knows whenn it will be released...??

sure any devoted enough phone owner can take smething like Maemo Canola 2
and repace its under-the-hood multimedia engine with VLC lib
would make something like http://nakkiboso.com/knots/

But his user interface would be rather unique for his display size
and VLC library build would be rather unique for phone's hardware

On another phone with same android but different hardware it hardly would
run

So, while there might be a few of homebrew pet VLC ports, i had yet to
hear about official project VLC-for-android and how they would make more
VLC-android versions for miriads of phones, than all curent VLC versions
together. I consider those rumours a wishful thinking

You may think, that if VLC runs on Wuindows on my computer - same would be
on yours.
That's because Windows only owrks on single hardware.
But this is not what happens on phones and tablets!
Android works on different hardware patforms - and for each VLC should be
ported and maintained as a separate sub-project

It is possible - but requires rather much everyday long work.

Who would do it ?

--
Написано в почтовом клиенте браузера Opera: http://www.opera.com/mail/