[vlc] Continuous playing of broadcast streams

jeetu.golani at gmail.com jeetu.golani at gmail.com
Thu May 12 18:54:51 CEST 2011

Hello,

I'm trying to broadcast stream mythtv content in nuv files. I'm controlling
the vlc server v 1.1.3 on my debian testing machine via the telnet interface
to add files to the playlist. I would then finally like to view this stream
within a vlc webplugin based webpage or using the vlc client. Streaming will
be only over the LAN.

Everything works fine however between changing from one file to the next the
picture freezes for about 5 seconds while the next video gets cached, the
file then starts playing with approx 4-5 seconds of picture missing. This is
undesirable and ideally I would like to have continuous and seamless playing
without any freeze or missing video stream.

I've been at wits end trying to figure out how I can get the vlc server to
pre-cache the next file (like it does for VOD) or how I can resolve this.
I've even tried this on a quadcore core2duo machine with 6GB RAM to see if
hardware has an effect though I can't seem to see that.

I would appreciate it profusely if someone could point me in the right
direction.

Thanks.

Bye for now
Jeetu
ebrain.in | Beehive Computing
Discover and run software from any device around you - an open source (GPL)
project..