[vlc] X11 question

Julian DeMarchi julian at jdcomputers.com.au
Tue Nov 1 22:58:12 CET 2011

On 11/01/2011 07:11 PM, gonzague wrote:
> Hi, It looks you're trying to run an x aplication as the user "www-data"
> on an X owned by "yourUser" .

I'm not that silly. :-) I'm running it as a catalyst application as the
current user.

> So you 1rst try to search "linux run x applications remotely" ( 1rst res
> on google :
> http://nixcraft.com/getting-started-tutorials/170-run-remote-x-applications-over-network-using-ssh.html
> )

Thought my question was a bit confusing. I'm not trying to do
x-forwarding or any other such magics. Basically I've built a TV station
for a user. The cat app allows the user to queue videos and what not
which then get played on the second x-session which goes to an
rf-modulator and off to 100 or so TV sets.

> So the question is : why are you using an http protocol to start an
> application on a server ?
> For this kind of manipulation, i'm using ssh forwarding the vnc port :
> ssh -L 5900:localhost:5900 user at server, according that a vnc server is
> running on the server's side. So you can connect your server's desktop
> with a vnc client on your local host.
>
> Another solution can be a daemon running on the server, that checks in
> database ( sql, txt, ... ) if there is any command to execute, and your
> http server aim is to write those comand in db ...

I start vlc like vlc -d --x11-display :0.1 --no-osd -I rc : this allows
me to control VLC via telnet using Net::Telnet. :)

The drama starts when the stream is stopped. You start it up on a client
machine on the same lan, it plays but the video obviously does not get
started on screen 0.1.

I really wasn't expecting an answer to my issue, as I am using vlc here
quite uniquely.

Hopefully this explains more. I'm still interested in tips, or if you
smart guys and gals have a better way for me to run vlc in my situation.

By the way : if there is interest,  I will release this code for others
to mess with and improve. :)

--julian