[vlc] love vlc, but...

Gregory Norris gregrnorris at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 19:19:34 CEST 2011

On 10/02/11 18:52, jpbarthe at comcast.net wrote:

> VLC creators,
>
> Your player is awesome. Just want you to know that when I recently
> updated from the pop up message,  I got  a nasty surprise each time i
> opened a music file that i created of a photo image of a dead rat in
> a gutter  No orange cone, but a dead, ugly, rat. I had to uninstall
> vlc and reinstall it. I had to delete all my music files and reinstall
> from a back up source. Everything is ok now, but i sure won't update
> anymore from a pop up, but will go straight to your site. Can you tell
> me what may have happened? Don't know if others had this happen to
> them. Maybe this is helpful for you?
>
> JP Barthe

I'm not part of their staff but it sounds to me like either the music
files were infected and vlc wasn't shielded from a script or more likely
that something on your computer redirected the downloader to a false
site.  This is assuming that the popup window was vlc's automatic one
and not some random virus/site popup.