[vlc] Bad audio performance with jack

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 06:12:24 CET 2012

> > If I play a video with the jack audio output, the sound is fairly
garbled and choppy.  The same files sound fine with 'mplayer -ao jack
file.mkv' and also with vlc if I don't use jack.  Is there something I can
do to fix this?

> > - Grant
> >
> Also, is jackd using too much CPU? Did you try other jack applications?

I updated my system and now vlc only has this problem with jack and 1080p
video, and even then it's not as bad as it was.  jackd only uses about 1%
CPU in any case, but I noticed this with a 1080p video:

mplayer without jack: 60% CPU
mplayer with jack: 65% CPU
vlc without jack: 75% CPU
vlc with jack: 85% CPU

I think the CPU is too stressed when vlc uses jack with a 1080p video.  Is
there anything I can do to increase performance?

- Grant