[vlc] Play RPM with VLC in webpage

Grizzly Real_Grizz_Adams at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 13 00:18:02 CET 2012

12 December 2012  at 12:27, Tim Slattery wrote:
Re: [vlc] Play RPM with VLC in webp (at least in part)

>"dE ." <de.techno at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On 12/12/12 03:04, Grizzly wrote:
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> Excuse a newbie (at least here)
>>>
>>> I have VLC (2.04) installed and working well,
>>> I choose in install Mozilla plug-in
>>> I can play RealMedia files (rm, ra, rpm) from desktop
>>> I can play embeded AVI files, in nrowser (K-Meleon)
>>> I Cant play RealMedia files in the browser. get a plugin request dialogue
>>> Any pointers Please

>>I don't think VLC can play RealMedia files.

>Yes it does. Grizzly says that he plays rm, ra, and rpm files in VLC on his desktop. And
>I can say from personal experience that VLC on my machine plays ra files. That said, I
>don't know how VLC interacts with browsers (if at all). Maybe Grizzly just needs to
>associate rm, ra, and rpm files with VLC, I don't know.

VLC is the default player for them in Windows (and in Pegasus ;->) hello Tim)
and with the Mozilla plug-in installed (embeded) AVI's play direct in my
browser (K-Meleon) and if double clicked play full screen, but RPM's just
wont play, there is Always that "Get Plug-in" message (the blue jigsaw piece)
testing locally if I change the filename to *.RM and change the HTML to point
to that (very same) file it plays, in file types in windows both *.rm & *.rpm
files have identical entries

"D:\VLC\vlc.exe" --started-from-file "%1"

so what is happening, is it in the Mozilla plug-in for VLC ?