[vlc] streaming error message in vlc on Linux

Lisi lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 12:01:14 CET 2012

On Sunday 26 February 2012 10:25:28 Malcolm Waterman wrote:
> Ok, I don't have much experience with Debian Linux, and I seem to have a
> different version of VLC on my system. I would ask that you check these two
> places on your VLC, to see if it's different from my system: Tools ->
> Preferences -> All -> Advanced -> Logging. Check the settings there. On my
> computer there's no file set up, which might mean that there is no log file
> being recorded? Tools -> Messages might also be helpful. As I said, I don't
> know if it's the same set up on your system, two versions of Linux and VLC,
> but I don't think that there's going to be massive differences. Anyway, it
> seems like a good place to start.

I had looked at both of these without success.  I even created an empty file
for the log to go in, and gave vlc the path, but the file remained empty.

I wonder whether you (or anyone else!) would be able to help me trouble-shoot,
in the absence of the log?  I am a total ignoramus on the technology of audio
and on the technology of steaming.  I just don't know where to start - even
to the extent of not knowing what question to ask, or what information is
relevant.

Lisi