[vlc] promotional materials for Software Freedom Day 2012?

Ivan Shmakov oneingray at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 20:05:47 CEST 2012

	[Somehow, the message I'm replying didn't make it into either
	the Gmane archive, or the Mailman's own one, so it took some
	time for me to notice it in my Inbox.]

 >>> http://www.videolan.org/vlc/stats/downloads.html

 >> Unfortunately, this statistics alone gives no idea about how the VLC
 >> popularity compares to those of other players.  Debian Popularity
 >> Contest is the only source I know that provides a kind of estimate
 >> of the relative popularity of different software, including audio
 >> and video players.

 > While I can't state how popular our major open-source competitor on
 > the Mac, MPlayerX, is, I can say that VLC is installed on every
 > eighth Mac world wide.

 > Sources for that:

 > - each major release of VLC got an installed base of roughly 8
 > million.  Note that the stats linked by j-b don't include 3rd party
 > download sites.

 > - Apple announced at last WWDC that 64 million Macs are currently in
 > use.

	ACK, thanks.  Seems like an acceptable estimate.

 > Hope this helps.

	Well, my guess is that the folks that we hope to gather would be
	more interested in hands-on experience first, and perhaps some
	posters or flyers next, than pure statistics.

	That being said, we still need to make a few “join us on
	SFD”-themed flyers.  So, as we're talking about both users'
	freedom and software, why not to, say, put a few words about a
	free software package or another on the reverse side of a flyer?
	Thinking of it, we've made a few such designs [1] (in Russian.)
	For instance, the “Firefox” reverse reads (translated):

    Firefox

    The third most widely used web browser (market share — 24%.)  In
    development since 2004~г.  Last release — 14.0.1 (2012-07-17.)

    Supports tabs, spell checking, incremental search, “live bookmarks”,
    download manager, search engine UI field.  Has numerous extensions.

    Based on the Gecko rendering engine that provides support for the
    current and prospective WWW standards (XHTML, HTML4, HTML5, MathML,
    SVG, etc.)

	I wonder if someone could describe VLC in such a succinct way?

	TIA.

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.user-groups.foss.sfd.planning.ru/47/focus=89

--
FSF associate member #7257	http://sf-day.org/