[vlc] VLC to stream in and play raw audio

Kartik N kartikn at renuelectronics.com
Mon Oct 29 12:53:13 CET 2012

Hi,

    I am facing a problem streaming in an audio stream over RTP into VLC and
playing it.

My goal is streaming L16 format audio out of my embedded device on rtp. I do
this using gstreamer as follows

gst-launch filesrc location=heart_dirumble.wav ! wavparse ! audioconvert !
audio/x-raw-int, endianess=4321, signed=true, width=16, depth=16,
rate=11025, channels=2 ! rtpL16pay ! udpsink host=192.168.0.166 port=1234

I made a sdp file as below

v=0

o=root 1 1 IN IP4 192.168.0.174

s= audio dev

t=0 0

m=audio 1234 RTP/AVP 97

a=rtpmap:97 L16/11025/2

When I open this sdp file with VLC, it fails to do so and ends up saying
"VLC can't recognize the input format. Please look at log"

The messages log rolls with messages like these: Nothing to play for

Rtsp:/// the sdp file.

Cannot peek

.

.

.cannot peek

No suitable demux module for sdp

Could not create RTSP Session: Invalid SDP line:

This keeps repeating.

I tried another sdp file

v=0

o=root 1 1 IN IP4 192.168.0.166

s= audio dev

t=0 0

m=audio 1234 RTP/AVP 96

a=rtpmap:96 mpa-robust/90000

VLC seems to identify mpa-robust and tries to convert the incoming stream to
mpeg format and crashes mid way. There is no audio. Nonetheless it
identifies that there is some payload of type 96. This confirms that the
device successfully streams some data to VLC.

But what I really want VLC to do is identify the L16 format which is an
established AVP (audio video profile) format and play it out.

I am guessing I just have to get the sdp file right. Any suggestions?

N.Kartik