[vlc] Nubie question - Wanted: RTFM to build VLC jukebox video based.

Jack Coats jack at coats.org
Mon Oct 29 19:25:28 CET 2012

Ok, I have used VLC for a number of years but just as a video viewer.

I would like to do something like the following, and I don't know if
someone else has done it before, or if there is a functionally
equivalent solution.

   I have a collection of video's or 'backup copies' of DVDs in a directory.
   I would like to have a script (or similar) scan the directory, and
build a simple web page occasionally (say every night) to make links
so I can access the video's by just pointing to the URL that would
start some kind of stream on demand from the 'server side' (or at
least point to the file if on a share) and run vlc locally.

  This is all ONLY on my local network.  Mixed Linux and XP machines currently.
  This is basically implementing a simple 'video jukebox' for personal use.

  Currently would like to use video's on XP share where files are, and
be able to play on other Windows or Linux machines.

Suggestions?  A pointer on where to 'RTFM' is appreciated (Read The
Fine Manual)...

Thanks... Jack