[vlc] vlc stutters on 3.9 linux kernel

dE de.techno at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 18:40:22 CEST 2013

On 04/22/13 06:29, Grant wrote:
>>> I was on xf86-video-intel-2.20.13 and I just tried 2.21.4 and the
>>> latest from git with the same result.
>> Recompile it. How about it's USE?
> I've also tried 2.21.6 and recompiled vlc with the same result.  Here
> are the USE flags enabled on vlc:
>
> X a52 aac alsa avcodec avformat cdda dbus dts dvbpsi dvd encode ffmpeg
> flac fontconfig gcrypt jack libnotify mmx mp3 mpeg ncurses ogg opengl
> png postproc qt4 sdl sse svg swscale truetype udev vaapi vorbis x264
> xcb xml xv

>>> It's Gentoo, 100% up-to-date.  Changing to XVideo from Default doesn't
>>> seem to make any difference.
>> How about bother drivers, specifically SDL?
> Same result from SDL.

>>> I'm on a Dell XPS 13 ultrabook with Intel Core i5-2467M and Intel HD
>>> Graphics 3000.
>> That processor is probably fast enough to decode video without
>> hardware assistance.
>>
>> What about mplayer? How does it work?
> mplayer works perfectly with or without jack and vlc works perfectly
> without jack.  Video performance is perfect in vlc with or without
> jack but audio is stuttery with jack.  mpd also plays perfectly with
> jack.
>
>> Tried turning off hardware video decoding? (it'll increase the cpu
>> usage) Although, it's unlikely the problem.
> Just tried it with the same result.  Any other ideas?
>
> - Grant

You're STILL having that problem?

Since VLC's video rendering is different from mplayer, it might be
triggering a bug in this particular kernel.

How about compiling with --

X a52 aac aalib alsa avcodec avformat dbus dirac dts dvbpsi dvd
elibc_glibc ffmpeg flac libass libsamplerate matroska mmx mp3 mpeg
musepack ogg opengl png qt4 schroedinger sdl sdl-image sid speex sse svg
swscale taglib theora truetype twolame udev vorbis x264 xcb xv

Also run VLC with

vlc --verbose 2147483647

Check it out yourself and attach it here.