[vlc] vlc stutters on 3.9 linux kernel

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 02:59:24 CEST 2013

>>> It can be that there's a mismatch between the userspace video drivers
>>> and the kernel's DRM driver.
>>
>> I was on xf86-video-intel-2.20.13 and I just tried 2.21.4 and the
>> latest from git with the same result.
>
> Recompile it. How about it's USE?

I've also tried 2.21.6 and recompiled vlc with the same result.  Here
are the USE flags enabled on vlc:

X a52 aac alsa avcodec avformat cdda dbus dts dvbpsi dvd encode ffmpeg
flac fontconfig gcrypt jack libnotify mmx mp3 mpeg ncurses ogg opengl
png postproc qt4 sdl sse svg swscale truetype udev vaapi vorbis x264
xcb xml xv

>>> Which distro? In the preferences > video, set output to XVideo.
>>
>> It's Gentoo, 100% up-to-date.  Changing to XVideo from Default doesn't
>> seem to make any difference.
>
> How about bother drivers, specifically SDL?

Same result from SDL.

>>> Which processor? Which chipset, which graphics card (if you have one)?
>>
>> I'm on a Dell XPS 13 ultrabook with Intel Core i5-2467M and Intel HD
>> Graphics 3000.
>
> That processor is probably fast enough to decode video without
> hardware assistance.
>
> What about mplayer? How does it work?

mplayer works perfectly with or without jack and vlc works perfectly
without jack.  Video performance is perfect in vlc with or without
jack but audio is stuttery with jack.  mpd also plays perfectly with
jack.

> Tried turning off hardware video decoding? (it'll increase the cpu
> usage) Although, it's unlikely the problem.

Just tried it with the same result.  Any other ideas?

- Grant