[vlc] RTSP client in vlc 2.1

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sat Dec 14 11:43:50 CET 2013

> Problem 1: sub-titles streaming.
>
> When playing the following URL:
> rtsp://xenomai.org:8554/video-tests/hd-fast.mp4
>
> The playback works nicely, but when enabling a sub-title track, the
> playback suddenly stops. After inspection of the RTSP dialog, here is
> what happens. When starting playback, vlc sends a SETUP for every track,
> then sends a global PLAY. When the user selects a sub-title track, it
> sends a TEARDOWN for every sub-title track, then a SETUP only for the
> selected track. At this point live555 (which is what I use for the RTSP
> server) refuses to setup the track and returns a 404 error, which causes
> vlc to stop playback.

Gilles,

The real problem here seems to be that the LIVE555 code (which you're using as your server) is behaving unexpectedly.  Because of this, the best place to discuss this problem is the "live-devel at lists.live555.com" mailing list (see <http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#mailing-list-address> for more information) - rather than a VLC mailing list.

If there's a problem with the LIVE555 server code, then the proper solution would be for us (Live Networks, Inc. - the developer of that code) to fix that code, rather than asking VLC to change its behavior.

> Problem 2: RTP jitter effect.

This, on the other hand, appears to be a legitimate VLC-related issue.

Ross Finlayson
Live Networks, Inc.
http://www.live555.com/