[vlc] RTSP client in vlc 2.1

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sat Dec 14 17:50:50 CET 2013

> Problem 1: sub-titles streaming.
>
> When playing the following URL:
> rtsp://xenomai.org:8554/video-tests/hd-fast.mp4
>
> The playback works nicely, but when enabling a sub-title track, the
> playback suddenly stops. After inspection of the RTSP dialog, here is
> what happens. When starting playback, vlc sends a SETUP for every track,
> then sends a global PLAY. When the user selects a sub-title track, it
> sends a TEARDOWN for every sub-title track, then a SETUP only for the
> selected track. At this point live555 (which is what I use for the RTSP
> server) refuses to setup the track and returns a 404 error, which causes
> vlc to stop playback.

Unfortunately - after getting more information from Gilles, and thinking about this some more - I've come to the conclusion that it's VLC's LIVE555-interface code that's in error here, and should be fixed.  The basic problem that VLC (again, its LIVE555-interface code) should not be sending a "SETUP" for a track after it's already been torn down.  Most RTSP servers will not accept this, because the "TEARDOWN" command (according to the RTSP specification) is supposed to end a session.

So, rather than sending a "TEARDOWN" for all subtitle tracks, and then doing a subsequent "SETUP" for the subtitle track that the user really wants, VLC's LIVE555-interface code should instead send a "TEARDOWN" for all subtitle tracks *except* the one that the user wants (and then not send another "SETUP").  (Note that you can do this using the second form of the "RTSPClient::sendTeardownCommand()" function: the one that takes a "MediaSubsession&" as parameter.)

Ross Finlayson
Live Networks, Inc.
http://www.live555.com/