[vlc] RTSP client in vlc 2.1

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Sun Dec 15 02:33:10 CET 2013

On 14 Dec, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote :
> > But since you think live555 is SO open, I will be delighted to look
> > at the diff and changes between the last few versions...
>
> I have been working for several monthes with live555 code, I use:
> https://github.com/hackeron/live555

Wow! Clearly live555 is very open...
So much open that you must yourself create a repository...

> And I daresay I find live555 sources to have a way more manageable size
> than those of vlc, which is why I did not even attempt to fix myself the

Comparing a library supporting one protocol to a full media framework
supported dozens of protocols, hundreds of formats and codecs, in term
of code size.
Nice trolling.

> defects of vlc as an RTSP client and came to this (user) list.

lol. If, instead of trolling, you had given a look at VLC source code,
you would have seen that the RTSP client module is just a single file
of 2000 LoC.

Oh, and you have the history of all changes that could impact it:
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=history;f=modules/access/live555.cpp;hb=HEAD
And there are not many changes since the 2.0.x fork...

> > I won't even ask for a tarball, because, I know it's too much to ask...
>
> Well, that is true, there is always only the latest tarball in the
> download area, but this can easily be worked around using github.

You must be kidding, right?
A project with no open source-control, no tarballs, no history and a
single commiter is more open than a project where all the decisions are
in the open, with all sources, all forks open, tarballs and binaries of
all versions, with hundreds of commitors per year.

> No need to answer, I am unsubscribing from this list. You just lost one
> vlc fan, but you probably do not care, since you have so many.

Clearly, you are a basic troll with extreme agressivity. I won't cry.

So let's summarize:
 - you call a project with no public source repo, one commitor only, no
   history tarballs, no diffs, more open than VLC that has all the opposite;
 - you call VLC source code bloated compared to a single library that
   does on thousandth of what VLC can do;
 - you don't even look at the code that could be faulty (aka a single
   file) or the 20 commits that are involved, but complain that other
   people don't do it for you (for free).

So yes, just based on those three points, you are basically a troll.

Moreover, when people tell you that you probably should fix it yourself,
which you obviously have the skills to do, you turn into bersek mode and
full aggressivity.
Not to mention that this is probably just a revert to do.

So yes, please write your own RTSP client (that I hope will be under
2000 lines of code, of course! With full subtitles rendering!) and don't
use VLC.
I just hope for you that you won't need VLC ever in your life...

With my kindest regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - +33 672 704 734