[vlc] RTSP client in vlc 2.1

Gilles Chanteperdrix gilles.chanteperdrix at xenomai.org
Sun Dec 15 12:24:52 CET 2013

On 12/15/2013 11:41 AM, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> On 15 Dec, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote :
>>> Wow! Clearly live555 is very open...
>>> So much open that you must yourself create a repository...
>>
>> I was talking about openness of the project towards its users reports,
>> not the openness of the development model.
>
> Yeah, let's redefine terms.

No, I merely explain you what I meant when I said:
"I have posted two mails today, one on vlc mailing list, the other
on live555 mailing list. From the answers I got, despite what you say,
live555 looks like a more open project."

I am sorry, as you no doubt have guessed, english is not my mother tongue,

> Your answer to me was overly aggressive.

I apologize for that, it was not meant to be.

>> I already have a player with an RTSP client, and it takes 1 line of
>> code, because I simply pass the RTSP URL to avformat_open_input, as I do
>> any other.
>
> Please keep doing that. And of course, there is no need to set avformat
> or to control it...

Yeah, but do not compare oranges and apples, 2000 lines in vlc is the
size of the RTSP stuff. With ffmpeg, there is no particular code needed.

>> Like I said in the original report, mostly for fun, I am developing a
>> server to stream videos using the RTSP protocol, from an internet
>> connected server to my PC through a DSL line. After several monthes of
>> trials (which would tend to disprove your claims about my skills), I
>> finally come to a solution which works well, but has issues with vlc, I
>> know that the server works well, because it works fine with ffplay for
>> instance.
>
> You also said that VLC 2.1 does not work while 2.0 worked.
> Finding the right commit is probably not hard knowing your skills.
> And would help everyone.

Ok, will do.

>> anyway, I decide that I should help fixing vlc. Maintaining myself a
>
> No, you did not offer that. You attacked me when I suggested that you
> fix it yourself to help the community.

My intent when posting the original bug report, was to help fixing vlc.

>> "we will not fix it, send a patch", not even answering the second, more
>> serious bug.
>
> You are a basic troll.
> The quote said differently: "Unless you share a patch, I doubt it will get
> fixed"...

Again, english not being my mother tongue, I do not perceive the nuance.

--
                                                                Gilles.