[vlc] RTSP client in vlc 2.1

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Sun Dec 15 12:34:10 CET 2013

On 15 Dec, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote :
> >> I already have a player with an RTSP client, and it takes 1 line of
> >> code, because I simply pass the RTSP URL to avformat_open_input, as I do
> >> any other.
> >
> > Please keep doing that. And of course, there is no need to set avformat
> > or to control it...
>
> Yeah, but do not compare oranges and apples, 2000 lines in vlc is the
> size of the RTSP stuff. With ffmpeg, there is no particular code needed.

libvlc_new is one line too...

Even for FFmpeg or a avio module in VLC, if you want to have trick-play,
or other complex features, you will need to extend FFmpeg API and code
them to use them from VLC.
Adding a FFmpeg protocol does not magically add it to the above software...

> Again, english not being my mother tongue, I do not perceive the nuance.

The difference is that the VLC core team is extremely limited, and
extremely time-constrained, with an extrem large number of user, so that some
"niche" bugs, like RTSP issues, are usually not priotirized highly.

So, per my experience, if you want a quick fix on this issue, and you
have the skills, you should do it.

One is refusing to do something, the other is knowing it will not be
prioritized with the highest prio and that 2.2.0 will be out before
that...

With my kindest regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf