[vlc] How to fix choppiness in H264 playback

Richard Cavell richardcavell at mail.com
Sat Jan 5 15:01:31 CET 2013

Hi, all.

 I use the latest version of VLC on OS X 10.8, on a MacBookPro8,1 (i7 version) with 8 gig RAM. I regularly play movies, each of which is about 1 gig of h264 at 720x576x25. Sometimes I get my computer to do disk-intensive work (video editing using Adobe CS) in the background while I watch my movies. But when the video editing hits a part that's filled with compositions/edits, the movie becomes choppy. If I pause and then unpause the movie it gives VLC a chance to catch up, but it sometimes becomes choppy again within a few seconds. I wish that, while I pause the movie, VLC would cache further ahead.

 If the bottleneck is disk I/O, is there some way that I can tell VLC to cache more of the movie in RAM to avoid disk I/O on the fly? If the bottleneck is CPU decoding, can I somehow cache that, or tell it to degrade more gracefully than it does?

 Richard