[vlc] Patchy sound recording when recording from a D-Link 3716 camera

Gerhardus Geldenhuis gerhardus.geldenhuis at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 22:49:22 CEST 2013

Hi
I am trying to record a video and sound stream from a D-Link 3716 camera.

It is currently setup to provide two streams:
Stream1:
Mode: H.264
Frame size: 1280x720
Frame rate: 25

Stream2:
Mode: MPEG4
Frame size: 640x360
Frame rate: 25

Audio Settings for the camera:
Encoding: G.726 ( The only other option is G.711 )

I can view and listen to the stream just fine:
rtsp://192.168.1.67:554/live1.sdp
or
rtsp://192.168.1.67:554/live2.sdp

However I don't seem to be able to record the audio properly. I get white
noise bursts about twice a second interspersed with the actually sound
coming from the camera.

To get a recording I open the network stream and select the convert button.
I first tried "Dump raw input" and also selected a Destination file but the
destination file gets ignored and the sound and video gets dumped in the UI
which is a bit counter intuitive.

I then tried the Video - H.264 + MP3(MP4) profile and a few others. The
file that I save to is a .ps which is added automatically because I did not
specify the extension. I have tried various different profiles but they all
seem to have the same problem with the sound.

My CPU usage does shoot to almost 100%. I have tried to play around with
the stream quality that the camera sends. It has an option to set either a
constant bit rate which I set to the lowest value fo 64K or a fixed quality
which I set to "Standard" I thought that by changing the bit rate or
quality it will lessen the CPU load and then possibly improve the sound
quality. My reasoning was that the high cpu load makes the recording
problematic. The lower quality video has lessened the CPU to about 30% but
the sound quality is still bad.

I would appreciate any help and/or guidance as to what I should be trying
next to get the audio quality to improve.

Regards

--
Gerhardus Geldenhuis