[vlc] drive in theater (synchronization audio-fm / video)

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Sat Jan 10 20:27:38 CET 2015

On 01/10/2015 12:29 PM, jm wrote:
> Dear vlc users,
>
> I'm part of a local radio in France [1], and we plan to organize a drive in
> theater, by broadcasting the audio part of a movie throw our FM broadcasting
> system, then by projecting in a screen the movie.
> The main question is the synchronization between the audio and video streams:
> the antenna will be probably far from the drive in location.
> Do you know if vlc is able to synchronize the reading of a movie (video part)
> using an audio input coming from an FM receiver (using for example the audio
> in of the computer) ? And do you think it's required to synchronize not only
> at the beginning of the movie?
>
> Thank you for your answers and ideas.
>
> Cheers

I think if you mean an on-site FM transmitter, you'll be fine, but if you mean you're going to send the audio to a regular
broadcast station several miles (kilometers) away, and then have it broadcast back from there, you'll have a serious
synchronization problem. Even fairly slight non-synchronization of lip movement with pronunciation is quite disconcerting.
The same is true of movies portraying the playing of a musical instrument, especially something like a piano or a drum.

I can't answer about vlc, but the above is what you're dealing with.

--doug