Questions

Benoit Steiner benny at via.ecp.fr
Mon Apr 16 03:02:46 CEST 2001

1/ Very good to test the robustness of the vlanserver since a user will
sooner or later misconfigure its vlc ;) And also very good to train the
diffs to diagnose quickly a problem ;)
2/ Why not ? Seems robust and reliable to me.
3/ Means that the vlanserver depends on the vlanbridge to be able to
work. Until now, there has been no such strong dependency.
4/ Even worse than 1, because the database is full of mistakes.

About question 1, who cares anyway :) Seriously a user should only make
requests for its IP and then the server determines if there are other
machine to move.

About question 2, the only solution that works is to let the vlanbridge
do the reverse ARP. But I don't  like it. It's up to you.

The biggest problem here is that when a computer boots the vlanbridge
assumes it's on vlan2. So what happens if this computer is connected to
a hub that is on vlan4 ? There are a lot of problems like this. We
should consider that a port on a switch is used by a group of machines
on the same vlan, not a single one. But then we have no easy way to
automaticly and dynamicly populate such groups. As a result, supporting
hubs is a real pain. We should really require everybody to buy a switch:
They're no more that expensive ;)

Benny