[vlmc-devel] Strings used in VLMC

Christoph Miebach christoph.miebach at web.de
Sun May 6 16:16:01 CEST 2012

Hello!

I checked the texts (instead of working on the german translation). IMO
they wold benefit a lot of a native speaker's review. For example
"medias" should be "media" as it is already the plural form of medium.

But first, I would like to remove the simple (?) cases:

-There are a lot of strings with a capital second (third) word but at
the same time many with only the first word (if at all). I think the
rule for the first word is: To_uppercase if (complete sentence OR first
word after newline).
And just to state that here: Capitalization on first words is good as it
is. This is just an example how I would describe some rules.

Is there any policy for second words?
As stated on irc, there might be some rules for menus (only menus, IIRC)
from apple style guide.

Now pasting some of the occurring texts. I could as well change the
other (lower case) strings to all_uppercase, if that is preferred.

Media Properties
VLMC Crash handler
Clip Preview
Project Preview
Effects List
Effect Properties
VLMC Renderer
Proxy Port
Proxy Username
Proxy Password
Set General options

Media List
Media Library
(=> This might be written as above in vlc. Did not check so far. I
remember "ML" at least as abbreviation)

2 similar cases. How to process here?
WizardPage
TextLabel

Is there a particular reason for the space in front of :?
Metatags :
Annotations :

I am willing to write a real patch for the file, but I need to know the
way the corrections shall go.

And a personal note on this string:
"Connection may be insecure, do you want to continue? One or more SSL
errors has occurred: %1"
This is a horror to translate. How about this for the second part:
"At least one SSL error occurred: %1"
Or one of the below:
"SSL error[ message](s): %1"

Regards