Building Linux Box

Arnaud de Bossoreille de Ribou bozo at via.ecp.fr
Thu Mar 8 10:54:03 CET 2001

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001, Bill Wimsatt wrote:
> The VLS demonstration that I am planning is to distribute simulated bike
> rides across a LAN. The test is to look at using more intelligent
> spinning bikes at health clubs or senior citizen homes.
>
> The distribution media is not determined at this time as I am merely
> investigating the possible application. So, DVD is not required but
> desirable.
>
> I am looking at using BeIA as a possible client OS.

Sorry for my very late answer

Well the VLS doesn't eat a lot of CPU so a single PIII 400 or above works
well. It has not been tested with more than 3 streams at the same time.
The most important things you have to take into account is the bandwidth to
access to your hard disk(s) and the network bandwidth. One MPEG2 stream takes
an average of 5Mbps up to 8 Mbps.

The VLS is still under development, the features that work by now are
  - reading a TS MPEG1/2 file on a hard disk and streaming it over a LAN
  - Telnet Administration.

The DVD support is still at the begining. you have to mount your drive
and specify where to find VOBs. It reads only vts_01_[1-n].vob.

Regards,

--
Arnaud.