[vls-devel] Re: DVB-T patch

Andrew de Quincey adq_dvb at lidskialf.net
Sun Dec 22 14:59:10 CET 2002

On Sun, 2002-12-22 at 08:50, Pete Martin wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> Yes I did thanks very much. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but I
> have only just got round to trying it out and it looks good! I have not seen
> a core dump yet and the ability to specify the dvbrc file in the vls.cfg
> file is spot on. I can now have two vls sessions - one using my dvb-t card
> and one my dvb-s card - at the same time, each session streaming 4 programs.

Aaah, cool. Sorry for my impatience.

> At the moment I am looking at how to handle a temporary loss of signal. If,
> for example, an aerial cable is disconnected and then reconnected, the dvb
> input usually stops, requiring a manual restart of the stream. What I am
> thinking, is to have an option that controls whether the dvb input stops on
> loss of input, or it retries until the input is restored.

Nice one, that was on my list of things to do. For me, I would
definitely need the latter.

I've been looking into the interactive stuff.. MHEG/MHP and the like. In
the UK, each channel has a reference to all the interactive channel ES
in its PMT table.. I notice that (currently) vls just streams these as
well.

I'm thinking of just patching it so it only actually streams the
video/audio streams... or do you think we need an option for controlling
this?

Out of interest, which DVB-S broadcaster are you receiving from? We had
been looking at Sky, but I'm informed that their CA modules only work in
Sky receivers (Mind you, I've not looked into DVB-S personally yet).