[vls-devel] Re: [Fwd: [streaming] Some questions]

Andrew de Quincey adq_dvb at lidskialf.net
Wed Dec 17 16:24:15 CET 2003

On Wednesday 17 December 2003 13:14, Mariano García wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Some weeks ago I send a mail to streaming mailing list, but I didn't get
> any answer, so, maybe this is the correct mailing list. I forward you
> the mail. In this mail I told you that we think there are pcr problems
> in the streaming, but we know now that you don't use pcr in live video
> (so, i think my wintv-pvr driver have a pcr problem).
>
> I am interesting about the way vls converts program stream to transport
> stream. I sent two days ago a mail asking you about ps2ts module
> documentation.

Sorry, been really busy.

We basically just read in each PES packet from the program stream, then chop
them up into transport stream packets... nothing fancy is done really; its
pretty much exactly the same data.

The PTS is extracted from the Pack headers, and is used so that the data is
sent at the correct rate.

Each different ES within the PS gets a seperate PID in the TS, and we generate
suitable PAT/PMT tables for the stream, which are transmitted suitably
regularly.

The code is a bit nasty 'cos it can't seek backwards; some of the sources VLS
can deal with are hardware cards producing a program stream, so one can only
seek forwards.

What specifically are you wanting to know?