[vls-devel] Re: vls and DVB oddities

Andrew de Quincey adq_dvb at lidskialf.net
Fri Apr 16 10:41:50 CEST 2004

On Friday 16 April 2004 09:31, Jan Ekholm wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Benjamin PRACHT wrote:
> >The head branch  of VLS has been  let in an unmaintained  state for more
> >than 6 months, and would still require lots of fixes.
> >
> >The 0.5.6 versuion requires libdvb-0.2.2 and linuxtv-1.0.1 to work.
> >
> >Moreover, you cannot specify a config file AND command line arguments at
> >the same  time. If you want  to use a config  file, you have to  set all
> >yous inputs in it.
>
> Ok, sounds logical, so doing something like this would be better:
>
> 	% vls -vvvv dvb:"Fashion_TV" -d rtp://224.0.1.2:1234
>
> Which still produces the same output, ie no output:

> 2004-04-16 17:28:34 [INFO/Vls]  Input 'input1' sucessfully initialised
> 2004-04-16 17:28:34 [INFO/Vls]  Executing command1 : 'start Fashion_TV
> output1 input1 --rtp '
> Time out !
> 2004-04-16 17:28:50 [ERROR/input1]  Read error for program "Input DVB
> input1"
>
> Ok, so vls is a dead end then?

Previous versions of VLS certainly worked; I'm using them all over the place.
HOWEVER I'm using an older CVS snapshot from 21st october 2003 because people
seemed to be changing the command interface a lot in CVS after that, and I've
never got round to moving to a newer version.

The "Time out!" thing is _usually_ when tuning fails to lock on at all. But
from your messages you say your DVB system works with other apps, so it has
to be VLS specific.

Try running it through strace to see if its accessing the right files etc...