[vls-devel] Re: Occasional crazy problem with vls

Andrew de Quincey adq_dvb at lidskialf.net
Mon Jan 19 17:04:23 CET 2004

On Monday 19 January 2004 15:11, Jean-Paul Saman wrote:
> Andrew de Quincey wrote:

> >>Hmm, sounds like another problem we solved earlier with VLS. It turned
> >>out that with *weird* PCR values strange things happen (Weird in the
> >>sense of a broken MPEG clock timeline). It should be solved in the CVS,
> >>unfortunately I do not know which branch has that fix and which doesn't.
> >
> > I'm pretty certain the file's PCR values are fine. It streams perfectly
> > under normal system load situations, and none of the tools I have run it
> > through report any weird PCRs or other problems.
>
> Then I go back to my first analysis of the problem. The copy starves the
> VLS reads.
>
> Does your system have DMA enabled on the HD?

Yes. Its a Maxtor ATLASU320_18_SCA SCSI disk.

> Which kernel are you running?

2.4.21

I think basically the problem is we didn't choose those servers to have
particularly great disk IO throughput.. this streaming of one file is
basically just a feature to keep a particular client happy. We use them to
read the data to be streamed directly from DVB or MPEX cards and then send it
to the network interface.

In the future, we would properly spec streaming machines etc.. but in the
meantime. sigh.

Mind you, I would have thought it would be able to cope with streaming one
5mbit/s file.

Anyway, the problem only occurs infrequently. We're not in the habit of
uploading huge files; basically once the system is going, it gets left alone.
My patch seems to fix the runaway problem if it occurs, so I'm quite happy
with it as it is now. I'll tidy up the patch and commit it tomorrow.

Could this problem affect our DVB streaming as well, but we've never noticed
it? Because the speed at which DVB data can be retransmitted by VLS is
limited by the speed at which it is received by the DVB hardware, it doesn't
matter that VLS's timing goes off.