[vls-devel] Re: Occasional crazy problem with vls

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Mon Jan 19 22:46:03 CET 2004

Andrew de Quincey wrote:

>>Which kernel are you running?
>>

>2.4.21

Does it have the anticipatory patch?  I am not sure ??

>I think basically the problem is we didn't choose those servers to have
>particularly great disk IO throughput.. this streaming of one file is
>basically just a feature to keep a particular client happy. We use them to
>read the data to be streamed directly from DVB or MPEX cards and then send it
>to the network interface.

Could it be that the disk is fragmented? Because if the files were to
lay in one contigous chunk, then  you wouldn't see this problem. I guess
you also use the same disc for the root filesystem without any additonal
partitions accept for the swap, right?

>In the future, we would properly spec streaming machines etc.. but in the
>meantime. sigh.
>
>Mind you, I would have thought it would be able to cope with streaming one
>5mbit/s file.

I would expect the same.

>Anyway, the problem only occurs infrequently. We're not in the habit of
>uploading huge files; basically once the system is going, it gets left alone.
>My patch seems to fix the runaway problem if it occurs, so I'm quite happy
>with it as it is now. I'll tidy up the patch and commit it tomorrow.

Ok.

>Could this problem affect our DVB streaming as well, but we've never noticed
>it? Because the speed at which DVB data can be retransmitted by VLS is
>limited by the speed at which it is received by the DVB hardware, it doesn't
>matter that VLS's timing goes off.

If the stream is not saved to the disc, then the problem will not occur.
VLS has to compensate a bit for the drift or run completely in slave
mode for the DVB card. The DVB satellite determines the clock in this case.

--

Many greetings,
Jean-Paul Saman

Consultant/Freelancer