[www-doc] [RFC] Documentation's i18n

Clément Stenac zorglub at via.ecp.fr
Sat Feb 7 14:59:11 CET 2004

Hello,

As I stated in my previous mail, the increase in the number of languages
reveals the flaws of the i18n sytem we currently use for the doc. (all
languages melted in one file, making hard to follow when modifications
are made, increasing threats of conflicts, ...)

Proposal
--------

For each document, we have:

document-root/
    Makefile
    de/
	document-de.html
	document-de.pdf
    en/ [...]
    fr/ [...]
    src/
      de/
	document.xml
	otherfile.xml
      fr/
	document.xml
	otherfile.xml

Each time, the english version is the reference one.

In each xml files in other languages, we have a revision number (that is
not the CVS revision number), something like <!-- revision:1.42 --> at
the top.

The reference version number is the CVS revision of the english
document, when the translators update their versions, they synchronize
their revision number with the english CVS one.

We could then have scripts to detect outdated translations, fill status
pages, send mails to translation maintainers, ...

The whole system is very close to the system that Debian uses for its
website, and I find it very efficient.
(look at http://cvs.debian.org/webwml/?cvsroot=webwml, and
         http://www.debian.org/devel/website/stats/ to see what can be
made with that)