[www-doc] SECURITY: Kaspersky Reports Trojan In VLC 1.1.1 For Win32

Nick Boyce nick.boyce at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 03:24:56 CEST 2010

Sorry if this is a false alarm, but I thought I'd better let you know
that Kaspersky Antivirus 2010 on my WinXP is identifying
"vlc-1.1.1-win32.exe" as a Trojan Horse malware - specifically
"Trojan.Win32.TDSS.bjam".  See attached screengrab of the Kaspersky
alert dialog box.

The Kaspersky virus sigs database has a release date of "21/07/2010 at
22:22:00".

I tried downloading from various Sourceforge mirrors - Kent, Switch
and Sunet - and then stopped trying.

Here's the full download URI for one of those attempts:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/vlc/1.1.1/win32/vlc-1.1.1-win32.exe?use_mirror=sunet&ts=1279760255

I'll wait a few days before trying again, in the hope that either the
Kaspersky virus sigs are wrong and get amended, or you folks find the
problem and resolve it.

Cheers
Nick Boyce
--
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask
remains a fool forever - Chinese Proverb