[www-doc] VLMC is dead

Hugo Beauzée-Luyssen beauze.h at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 18:16:37 CET 2014

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 8:17 PM, Rohit Yadav <rohityadav89 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi funman!
>
> Good to hear from you after a very long time.
>
> On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 11:00 PM, Rafaël Carré <funman at videolan.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> VLMC has been unmaintained for a while now, let's make that official.
>
> Sure, let's make it official on the website that it's not maintained anymore.
>
> Speaking for myself, I think I'll have this guilt for a very long time
> that I failed to invest more time and energy on this project and also
> due to my day job requirements after my graduation from engineering
> school. For a while I tried to work on it but due to a lot of api
> changes in libvlc and my failure to understand and use the aout and
> vout modules in VLMC led me to abandon development on the project.
>
> The last update I followed was from Hugo who able to make the
> vout/display work on Linux which I failed to do so on my Linux distro,
> OSX and windows all together after that I stopped working on it.
> Anyway I hope some parts of the codebase may be useful for others as a
> reference on how and how not to implement stuff :)
>
> I hope to meet you all some day in future and work in future on other
> interesting things. Best of luck to the ol' VLMC team.
>
> Regards,
> Rohit Yadav
>

>> This will avoid people spending time on translations and people making
>> donations to get access to some secret download area.
>>
>> Not sure how they got that last idea but it happened more than once.

Hi Raf', Rohit, and others,

I agree that it should be known that the project is not the exact
definition of "alive" :(
That being said, I'm currently forcing myself to start this project
again. I'm not saying it will be kicking Final Cut's ass in 2 weeks,
but at least it moves again. Slightly.
Therefor, as much as I agree we should let people know that it's dead,
I'd rather not bury it too deep, and would like to amend the diff as
such:
-This project is not maintained anymore.
+This project is currently unmaintained.

Thanks for raising this, as much as I hate it to be a true fact.

Best regards,

--
Hugo Beauzée-Luyssen