[x264-devel] debug/error messages

Måns Rullgård mru at mru.ath.cx
Tue Aug 10 01:51:40 CEST 2004

There are quite a few messages printed by x264.  These do not always
mix well with other output from programs using x264.  It is also
inconvenient to recompile x264 and relink programs just to change
which messages get printed.

To solve this problem, we could use a callback function for printing
messages, instead of plain fprintf.  See how libavcodec does it.  The
default could still be to print to the terminal, but applications
would have a chance to intercept messages and display them selectively
based on whatever rules it might have.

What are peoples' opinions on this matter?  If we could agree on an
interface to use for the callback I could do the implementation,
unless someone else has a great desire to do it.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru at mru.ath.cx