[x264-devel] Re: debug/error messages

snacky at ikaruga.co.uk snacky at ikaruga.co.uk
Tue Aug 10 03:35:18 CEST 2004

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 01:51:40AM +0200, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> There are quite a few messages printed by x264.  These do not always
> mix well with other output from programs using x264.  It is also
> inconvenient to recompile x264 and relink programs just to change
> which messages get printed.
>
> To solve this problem, we could use a callback function for printing
> messages, instead of plain fprintf.  See how libavcodec does it.  The
> default could still be to print to the terminal, but applications
> would have a chance to intercept messages and display them selectively
> based on whatever rules it might have.
>
> What are peoples' opinions on this matter?  If we could agree on an
> interface to use for the callback I could do the implementation,
> unless someone else has a great desire to do it.

As an end user, I think this would be a benefit. I also wonder if
there isn't some better way to control whether or not fdec.yuv is
output. Currently, it too requires a recompile and relink to change.

I don't want to derail this topic, but are any of you familiar
with the unofficial patch to mplayer which interfaces with
x264? If you're interested, the patch can be downloaded here:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mplayer.devel/19396/

There are some pretty major limitations, like muxing issues and the fact
that mplayer won't even play any files generated by x264 where bframe!=0,
but it's been a reasonably handy way for me to test out x264 through
mencoder as an interface. I should add that on certain kinds of source
material, I've been absolutely blown away by the results.

As long as I'm making impertinent end-user comments on a development list,
may I also ask if anyone has archives of this list for me to read?